Hi babes! I wanted to do a quick blog post about how I get my extensions my hair color! I've had so many people ask me questions so I figured I would do a "how to." If you are a white-blonde it's difficult to find hair to match your color, they are always too yellow. I've tried lots of brands and sometimes bleaching them out doesn't always end well. When trying Sally's hair once the hair start melting and falling out so always do a test strand instead of ruining your entire hair pack. Also ask for help! I love doing work on extensions. It is tedious and time consuming but I know how much I love my extensions and I want everyone to love theirs as well.
1. You need to find a good hair company - For clip ins I will always suggest Dirty Looks. I have the Quad Weft in the color "90s Blonde" and 20-22 inch. With Dirty Looks their extensions come with a instruction guide on how to take care of your extensions, how to dye them, and a few other cool tips!
For tape ins I suggest Bombshell Extensions, I did this same process with those and they held up through the process just as great! They are the best two companies I can suggest.
2. Also picking you perfect shade - This is difficult, for my color I pick the lightest one there is. Usually it's #60 - it's a platinum blonde. Some companies offer samples, those are always a great option!
3. Items you will need - foil, applicator brushes, silicon whisk, plastic bowl, bleach, developer (I suggest a low volume developer 20 or less)
*I usually use 10 volume developer when doing extensions but my beauty store was closed and all I had was 20 and 40.
4. Bleaching >>> Because these extensions are a quad weft (meaning four wefts on one strand) it is hard to bleach all the hairs so I divide the extension in half and bleach them separately on the same foil. So that way I am making sure every hair is saturated. Don't get too close to the clip area, that causes hair to fall out. That part will be hidden anyway so don't worry about it being a little bit different coloring - bleaching - I mixed a 1:1 ratio of flash lift bleach + 20 volume developer. I applied this to each weft and wrapped the hair singly in foil. I let each weft sit for 35 minutes under no heat. Then washed with herbal essences hello hydrate shampoo (the best for working with weaves, extensions, hair pieces)
5. Bleach Wash >>> at this point the extensions are not light enough. They should be a pale yellow. For some white blondes at this point you are good to tone them with a violet toner and you'll be perfect. But for me my hair is very silvery white so I need it to be nearly white before toning. - mixing equal parts of 20 developer + bleach + suave clarifying shampoo. I let each weft sit for 10 mins. Then washed with the hello hydrate shampoo again.
6. Toning >>> after shampooing and letting the hair dry your extensions should be a pale white with maybe a baby yellow color. That is perfect! You have to remember extensions have been over processed so not every hair is going to be the same color, you will see a little dimension - I use an ash-violet based color to achieve my white/silver locks. I let that color sit for 25 minutes. After that I wash with Perfect for Platinum shampoo + Redken Smooth Lock Conditioner.
7. If your hair isn't silvery enough for your taste >>> make sure the extensions are completely dry, then apply the purple shampoo (shimmer lights works wonders) all over the hair, since the extensions are dry they will soak up the purple shampoo better than applying it on the hair damp.
8. Trim >>> now that your hair is the perfect color they need a trim. Just like your hair adding bleach + color will damage the ends. This is why I always choose longer extensions because if I cut off 1-2 inches they are still long and now thick at the bottom!
9. Items you need for maintaining your extensions >>>
the wet brush - everyone needs this. I wish I could stress this more. It is perfect for over processed hair, fine hair, tangly hair, and tender heads. It's great for extensions because it is soft so it doesn't pull hair out. *You can purchase this brush at Sally's and Target.
A good shampoo and purple shampoo - I love perfect for platinum, it smells good and keeps my hair feeling wonderful. I also use a purple shampoo (shimmer lights) once a week mixed in with my perfect for platinum shampoo. If I'm feeling like my hair is getting a pale yellow I will not mix it with my shampoo I will use strictly shimmer lights. *Perfect for platinum can be bought at beauty stores like Ulta or a hairstylist, shimmer lights can be purchased at Sally's.
Leave in Conditioner - I've had such great results from the 12 benefits, it smells wonderful and does wonders on my hair. It detangles, protects from sun and chlorine damage, hear protects and many more. I've also used a detangler by garner fructis and it worked great too!
*I've only seen 12 Benefits at the professional beauty store, but if you need some email me. I can ship you some!
Heat Protectant - please use one! Your extensions are real human hair so treat them like you would your own hair. I don't have a favorite heat protectant yet!
10. Remember >>> extensions don't last forever but they can last you a while if you take care of them! Be gentle and use products on them.
If you have anymore questions about coloring extensions or purchasing them, please email me! I am always willing to help in anyway I can!
I wish I could truly express through a blog post how happy I am with dirtylook extensions. I have tried countless amounts of extensions from aliexpress, Sally's beauty, and other smaller extension companies. For clip-ins I will always choose dirty looks! They are very thick and healthy and long lasting. I am rough on my extensions because of styling and keeping up the color and these last through it all with no shedding! If anyone is like me they love full and thick extensions. With my hair color it is impossible to find extensions that match my color so I have to have great quality hair to achieve my color. With dirtylooks extensions I have found that! I have to bleach out any extensions I have to make them nearly white and then I color them and with dirtylooks they do not shed or fry at all. They are truly the best quality. The extensions I have are the quad weft which is 4 wefts per clip in. Which provides such great thickness and they appear very natural. I haven't found any other company that provides a quad weft that is such great quality. With the quad weft you get the thickness without having way too many clip ins in, we have all been there. Everyone head to dirtylooks to purchase some, if you need help deciding on color or length or amount email me at email@example.com :)
All photos are by Lindsay Steele Photography.
This past week my gal Danielle got chosen to be apart of the one by one photo gallery in downtown Dallas. The two photos shot by Danielle that were selected to be featured in the gallery, I was the model in. Danielle is so talented and deserves to be in every art gallery! All the photos will be up until the middle of June if you want to cruise by the One Arts Plaza and check out all the amazing photographers and photos that are up for display. I also had to rock my new favorite jumpsuit from Motel Rocks, I received so many compliments on my jumpsuit! Motel Rocks is one of my new goto shopping sites, I love all their fun patterns. When people ask what is my favorite thing to wear..its simple jumpsuits and overalls.